freetds - Re: [freetds] status and stability

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] status and stability
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 03:12:15 -0400

On Thu, 15 May 2003 14:39:19 +0800, "Varley, David (CBorn at Alcoa)"
<David.Varley AT alcoa.com.au> wrote:

> A machine with an older version of DU had even less converters
> to choose from (1 !) and my US-based systems appear to be
> offline at present, but there is probably an install kit that
> adds the extra converters somewhere, I'll check in the factory
> later.

This is not good. We're counting on a four function iconv, if you see
what I mean.

> As to what I require, it worked fine for me without all this
> iconv stuff, I'm happy for it just to go away :)))

Maybe we should treat this in src/replacements/iconv.c. Write a simple
stupid iconv(3) that knows how to convert ASCII <-> UCS-2. That would
satisfy the Roman-restricted, and might make things simpler within libtds.

In any case, the next version of tds_iconv() will let iconv-less
configurations connect ASCII clients to Microsoft servers.