freetds - RE: [freetds] status and stability

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] status and stability
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:43:25 -0400

Nice work!

Seeing as you've hand-edited (to our advantage) the perl-generated section,
I think we should pull the perl code out and sort the list alphabetically,
to make things easier to find, unless there's some reason not to. Thanks
for rationalizing the names, too. Do you think we can ignore case
(strcasecmp(3))? ISTM the list would be shorter, and I can't imagine two
different character sets whose names differed only by case.

One question, though, because you seem to have an idea different from mine.
When Sybase sends you its charset name "iso88597", and you're using HP
iconv, how are you going to locate the iconv name that HP uses?

My idea is to use src/tds/sybase_character_sets.h to get the canonical name,
and src/tds/alternative_character_sets.h to back into the iconv name. But,
to do that, we somehow have to identify the name to use. (We could try each
one in turn, I guess.)

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.