freetds - RE: [freetds] iconv_t

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] iconv_t
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:52:42 -0400

This sounds completely reasonable to me. I want my work to support yours,
so if I get in your way somehow, please shout.

> I started working on an implementation of iconv that uses the native
> translation facilities, but it ends up having one problem. It also
> requires mapping all the iconv charset names to the Mac OS constants
> for each character set (I already did Unicode, but with the new
> changes I'll need to work on other character sets, too).

What at drag, eh? Isn't the problem hard enough without having to cope with
nonstandard identifiers?

I'm going to provide a function that will accept a name and return the
standard name. AIUI, there are some nonstandard names whose meaning is
ambiguous; those will return NULL. We need a similar function to return
Sybase/Microsoft names when passed a standard name.

OS X uses integers instead of strings? That's intelligent, but I can't
believe you're the first guy to need a mapping to cannonical names. How do
you print the character set name?

> There also
> appears no way to get "the number of non-reversible conversions
> performed" that is returned by iconv.

That's one reason I'm going to change the tds_iconv signature to match
iconv's. I have to believe Bruno Haible knows what he's doing, no reason
not to follow his lead.

> Testing will be hard

Yup.

> I will need to finish this implementation before James finishes his
> changes, however. Right now I'm using a hacked up version of iconv
> that only supports the unicode, isolatin 1-14, and macroman variants.

I think we're back to baseline functionality (Latin clients and UCS-2
servers), and even perturbing tds_iconv isn't likely to change that. Next
stop for me is UTF-8 clients. Then UCS-2 clients. For that, we have to zap
practically every strlen() in the system, and ensure that every such
reference relates to the byte count. At least, that's been my working
hypothesis.

out such orders and/or instructions.