freetds - Re: [freetds] iconv_t

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] iconv_t
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:15:32 -0400

At 7:41 AM +0200 4/11/2003, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
Yes, iconv_t do not exists in win32.. Also Mac OS X have different
functions...

iconv works on Mac OS X, it just isn't installed by default. I'd just prefer to add in support for the native Mac OS X character set translations so that I don't have to compile in iconv statically (adding a lot to the file size) when I distribute the freetds dynamic libraries with my application.

I started working on an implementation of iconv that uses the native translation facilities, but it ends up having one problem. It also requires mapping all the iconv charset names to the Mac OS constants for each character set (I already did Unicode, but with the new changes I'll need to work on other character sets, too). There also appears no way to get "the number of non-reversible conversions performed" that is returned by iconv.

Testing will be hard, though I can probably use the iconv tests for the character set translations I support. But only knowing English doesn't help.

The third part will be adjusting the build process to include necessary compiler flags for linking with native frameworks.

I will need to finish this implementation before James finishes his changes, however. Right now I'm using a hacked up version of iconv that only supports the unicode, isolatin 1-14, and macroman variants. This saves a lot of space in my distribution, but won't work once we start supporting any server character set.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin