freetds - Re: [freetds] configure change, enabling parameter binding

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] configure change, enabling parameter binding
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:45:28 -0500

At 8:59 PM +0100 3/5/2003, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
Today Bill patch should implement it.

Just for RPC commands, not language commands. There is some hacked code for dynamic commands, which from looking at it, doesn't work.

You program under Mac OS ?!?

Yes. I ported FreeTDS to Mac OS 8/9 a few years ago, though I haven't updated that port since Mac OS X was released. Mac OS X is basically BSD unix on top of a Mach kernel, with a few other changes that complicate things at times.

What's RB_SOCKETS define? I'm merging code you send me a month ago...
very difficult but is much smaller now.

They used the code I sent you to support RealBasic, which is similar to VisualBasic but runs on the Mac. I'd ignore any code using that.

Where can I found documentation for Mac OS X charsets handling ?

I'm currently using a static version of iconv that I compiled. The system doesn't include iconv, unfortunately.

Most developers use CFStrings, which abstract a string and handle all encoding issues. Documentation for that is at <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/CoreFoundation/ProgrammingTopics/CFStrings/index.html>.

For basic conversion, you'd use some of the managers under Text and Other International Services at <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/carbon.html>. The major ones being Text Encoding Conversion Manager and Unicode Utilities.

Ideally, I'd like to write a version of iconv for Mac OS X that uses the Text Encoding Converter. But on the massive list of priorities, that's bumped down quite a bit since I got iconv working (though iconv is way too large to be distributing with my application).

Talking about it has me itching to do it again, but the big problem is translating the encoding names.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin