freetds - RE: [freetds] configure change, enabling parameter binding

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] configure change, enabling parameter binding
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:42:18 -0500

Agreed, it doesn't hurt. I wouldn't want the applications excluded in the
"standard" distribution, if there be such a thing for OS X. (fink?)

tsql is so trivially small it would be embarrassing not to compile it.
freebcp is more involved, but I'd still want to help get it working for you
if I can.

> >What do you mean by "normal queries"? ...
> >
> >I think passing parameters to stored procedures via
> ct_params would be a
> >straightforward reinterpretation of the dblib rpc functions.
>
> Nothing to do with stored procedures, but for sending queries like
> "insert into foo values (@val1, @val2)" with a couple of values bound
> via ct_param.
>
> The Open Client C Programmer's Guide calls these "language commands"
> as opposed to "dynamic SQL commands" and "RPC commands".

I see. I don't think that can be done in db-lib; I don't know about ODBC.

You might be able to steal some ideas from bpc.c. That's the only other
place I know of that supports binding to host variables for sending
purposes.

One of my 2003 goals is to move bcp from dblib to libtds and implement ctblk
atop it. Some kind of general input-binding function shared (or at least
shareable) between bcp and ct_param would be helpful.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.