freetds - RE: [freetds] using default port 4000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] using default port 4000
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:37:09 -0500

It's a little confusing....

The nightly snapshot (from MAIN) reports itself as 0.61. That's derived
from:

$ grep 61 configure.in
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(freetds, 0.61)

The rc1 reports the same. The only way to tell them apart is to know which
tarball you used, or "head ChangeLog".

Perhaps this would be a better policy:

1. When branching a release, edit configure.in to reflect the branch's
status e.g. "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(freetds, 0.61rc1)". Update as necessary,
creeping to 0.61.

2. Simultaneously in the MAIN branch, bump the point release by five:
"0.61.5". This leaves room for point fixes to the release branch. On this
project, we've only ever had one point release. If we need more than 4,
we'll have more problems than just getting the version numbers right.

3. "0.61.5" (a/k/a current) can be bumped willy-nilly as long as it stays <
0.62. When it's time the 0.62 release rollout, branch the code, set the
branch's version to 0.62rc1 (or pre1, as appropriate).

etc. Is that good? Other suggestions? How do other projects manage this?

When we know what we want, I'm happy to bring the current situation into
conformance.

out such orders and/or instructions.