freetds - Re: [freetds] Stange ODBC behaviour

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Davison <cd AT securityfocus.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Stange ODBC behaviour
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:40:03 -0700

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:16:13PM -0500, Lowden, James K wrote:
> In tsql, using current CVS code, it works fine:

Correct, this seems to be limited to ODBC. It's easy to reproduce with
isql (a tool that comes with unixODBC).

> 1> select id from sysobjects where id <0
> 2> select id from sysobjects where name = 'syscolumns'
> 3> go
> id
> id
> 3

The first query must be one that returns no _rowset_, not just no rows.
Hence my examples of sp_helptext 'xxx' and the homebrewed
sp_return_nothing stored proc.

But that seems to work as expected in tsql (note that no rowset is
returned for the first query):

1> sp_return_nothing
2> go
(return status = 0)
1> select top 1 uid from master..sysusers
2> go
uid
0

So it's an ODBC problem (AFAICT). Who's the ODBC driver hacker here? Would
that be Freddy?

--
Craig Davison
Symantec Corporation