freetds - [freetds] Stange ODBC behaviour

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Davison <cd AT securityfocus.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Stange ODBC behaviour
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:35:43 -0700

Hi,

It seems that when I call a stored procedure that returns no data
(correctly), the next query I make will incorrectly not return any data.

I'm using unixODBC 2.2.2, FreeTDS 0.61 (on Redhat 8 x86), MS SQLServer
2000

Example: (using isql)
SQL> sp_helptext 'xxx'
[unixODBC] Msg 15009, Level 16, State 1, Server MEGATRON, Line 52
The object 'xxx' does not exist in database 'master'.

[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLExecute
SQL> select uid from master..sysusers
0 rows affected

The call to sp_helptext is not really an error (it returns
SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO to the program) but the key point is that it returns
no data (not an empty rowset).

Sometimes the next query works, but sometimes things get wierd!:

SQL> select uid from master..sysusers
[unixODBC] Msg 15009, Level 16, State 1, Server MEGATRON, Line 52
The object 'xxx' does not exist in database 'master'.

or

SQL> sp_helptext 'xxx'
+-------+
| uid |
+-------+
| 0 |
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 3 |
| 4 |
| 16384 |
| 16385 |
| 16386 |
| 16387 |
| 16389 |
| 16390 |
| 16391 |
| 16392 |
| 16393 |
+-------+
14 rows affected
14 rows returned

Very strange. I'm pretty sure this isn't a bug in isql because I'm seeing
it in my programs as well (with an error about Invalid Cursor State).

Thanks!

--
Craig Davison
Symantec Corporation