freetds - Re: [freetds] so version bump for dblib?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] so version bump for dblib?
  • Date: 05 Feb 2003 10:00:54 +0100

> Well, gcc and the Linux ELF loader support per-symbol versioning, which
> is what's allowed glibc to not bump its SO version in over five years in
> spite of many, /many/ changes. But not every platform supports symbol
> versioning (only Linux and FreeBSD that I'm aware of), so I've had a
> hard time convincing people to adopt the non-portable technique... :)

Another solution is to maintain old functions if we remove one, do not
update so version if we add a function and change so version only when
change a function prototype or behavior (difficult cause prototype and
behavior are defined by Sybase and Microsoft for all high levels
libraries). So a solution is to add a DBTDS function to dblib and
downgrade so version...

There is a portable solution to define the set of function library
should export?