freetds - [freetds] API status

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] API status
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:13:32 -0500

All,

I wondered how complete is FreeTDS's implementation of the APIs as specified
by the vendors. I added some perl to doc/api_status.txt, to print out the
status in a format suitable for loading to the database, and then ran a few
queries. I thought you might be interested in the results.

1> select name, Total, OK, ToDo, [Done%] from vapi
2> select section, Total, OK, ToDo, [Done%] from vapisection where name =
'dblib'
3> go
name Total OK ToDo Done%
--------------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
ctlib 90 33 57 36
dblib 183 114 69 62
odbc 76 23 53 30

(3 rows affected)
section Total OK ToDo Done%
--------------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
bcp 14 13 1 92
browse 11 1 10 9
core 130 85 45 65
cursor 9 0 9 0
procedure 11 10 1 90
text 8 5 3 62

(6 rows affected)

There are 349 functions identified in api_status.txt, of which 170 are
marked "OK". That puts us about halfway done, with db-lib way out in front.

Obviously, these numbers don't measure quality i.e., clarity, flexibility,
robustness, portability, etc., all of which have seen a lot of attention
this past year. It might be interesting, though, to take another snapshot
next year and see how we're doing.

out such orders and/or instructions.