freetds - RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:50:28 -0500

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:42:01 -0500, "Lowden, James K"
<LowdenJK AT bernstein.com> wrote:
> [...]

Hello everyone,

I worked on this problem on Friday, but it looks like I need help.

I compiled src/dblib/unittests/t0022.c under VC++, linked it with
Microsoft's db-lib, and captured the conversation with tcpdump. No matter
what I did with the client configuration, though, I wound up with an SMB
session (not TCP), and the conversation appears to be in ASCII, making it
look a heck of a lot like TDS 4.2 (but it's also possible that TDS 7.0
over an SMB connection uses ASCII; I didn't check the login packet). I
was using SQL Server 7.0 client libraries and a SQL Server 2000 server.

I'd like to ask if anyone else would try the same thing, either to
reproduce my results, or to get a real TCP, TDS 7.0 tcpdump log. The
issue: at some point, it seems Microsoft broke the ability to retrieve
output parameters via TDS 7.0. We'd like to capture a TDS 7.0
conversation, to see what's going on.

If you have the requisite 2000 binaries but lack the time, inclination, or
skills to carry our the test, please mail me offlist and let's see what we
can do.

Regards,