freetds - RE: Problem building freetds --- gcc location

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Problem building freetds --- gcc location
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:21:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Kanneboina, Venkat [mailto:VenkatKanneboina AT ca.slr.com]
Sent: October 28, 2002 2:48 PM
To: TDS Development Group
Cc: 'John.Wilson AT savvis.net'
Subject: [freetds] RE: Problem building freetds --- gcc location

I did install gcc at /usr/local/bin. And the PATH variable was set to
include the /usr/local/bin/ directory also. But, the "configure" script
of free-tds does not seem to recognize this gcc. I am looking at the log
file, and there are entries as given below:
configure:992: checking whether the C compiler (cc ) works
configure:1008: cc -o conftest conftest.c 1>&5
The above log entries indicate that configure is trying to use "cc" instead
of "gcc", is this right?
Can you suggest what could be going wrong here and how can I point configure
to locate gcc.
One more point is that I have 2 versions of perl running on this system. One
is 4.0 and the other is 5.6.1. Does this cause any issue?

Venkat,

See line 869 or so of configure:

Some influential environment variables:
CC C compiler command
CFLAGS C compiler flags
LDFLAGS linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
nonstandard directory <lib dir>
CPPFLAGS C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
CPP C preprocessor

I think this might output of a more recent version of autoconf, but is $CC
set to anything, and/or does setting it to /usr/local/bin/gcc help?

If you post the 20 or so lines of configure's output leading up to the first
error, that might shed some light on what's going on. script(1) is your
friend here.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.