freetds - Re: DBD::Sybase - SQLServer 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase - SQLServer 7.0
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:39:52 -0400

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:13:27 -0400, Blake Nyquist
<blake.nyquist AT voyager.net> wrote:
> The only other difference I can think of is
> that the "hanging machine" is outside our firewall and has to traverse
> different ports through the firewall for communication with the
> database. Also, we've tried setting the tdsversion in freetds.conf
> equal to both 4.2 and 7.0.

Well, that certainly does sound suspicious, doesn't it? :)

Blake, if I were you, I'd turn on the FreeTDS log on the broken box. It's
a long shot, but it might provide a clue. Also, if you can post a tcpdump
trace of the failed connection somewhere, some Ethereal-savvy person here
might be able to tell you what's happening on the wire.

Before I did those things, though, I'd look real hard at that firewall of
yours. This smells to me like something about an MTU mismatch. Is there
a VPN or proxy host involved?
I bet if you use tcpdump on both sides of the firewall, you'll find out
that something isn't making it through. For the record, the TDS protocol
doesn't do anything funky; it sits atop tcp and behaves itself.

HTH and regards,

--jkl

PS. You don't mention what version of FreeTDS. It would matter if we take
this further.

  • DBD::Sybase - SQLServer 7.0, Blake Nyquist, 10/16/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: DBD::Sybase - SQLServer 7.0, James K. Lowden, 10/16/2002