freetds - Re: CygWin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CygWin
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:34:16 +0200

> > > I'm going to remove txt2man from our cvs and change the
> > > doc/Makefile such
> > > that it doesn't build man pages unless `which txt2man`
> > > returns a positive
> > > result. That way, he who will build the docs will find out
> > > he needs certain
> > > freely available tools, and anyone else won't trip on them.
> >
> > IMHO it's a bad things. txt2man is not installed by default
> > by many system.
> > Or you build and distribute only the compiled things or it
> > best to mantain txt2man in CVS.
>
> Here's how I see it, Frediano.
>
> We didn't write txt2man, so it shouldn't be in our source
> repository. I'm
> happy to put it on ibiblio, in misc, so there's a convenient
> place to find
> it, but if we're not maintaining it, it doesn't belong in cvs.
>
> Remember, the only people affected by this are folks using
> cvs. Tarballs
> include prebuilt documentation.

I added txt2man to CVS, so I explain what I wanted with this change

1- developer must be able to build a distribution using just gnu tools
(this mean "make dist" and also "make distcheck" work)
2- user should make and install without needing txt2man

To accomplish this (and removing also txt2man from cvs)

- doc/Makefile.am must build updated man pages automatically. And an error
should be raised, not ignored (developer must have txt2man or compiled file
should be there, so make do not build compiled) (point 1)
- we must distribute compiled man (point 2)
- we must ditribuite source man (so make process do not see error)
- developer should install txt2man in his machine

This sounds good?

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."