freetds - Re: CygWin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: CygWin
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:48:35 -0400

We seem to be slowly sinking into dependancy hell for developers. I'd
like two things.

a) there are three classes of users: general end users, developers, and
maintainers. Only maintainers should be required to have the
documentation build tools. I'd like to see doc builds off entirely unless
the tools are found.

b) We need a list of what is needed. For end users, nothing but a c
compiler should be needed (make dist should generate any and all
documentation). For developers, they need appropriate versions of the
autotools (autoconf, automake, libtool only). For maintainers, there is
jade,doxygen,txt2man,I'm missing stuff I'm sure.

It's just too much to ask an occasional developer to install the complete
chain of tools to submit a patch. I think it's counterproductive.