freetds - Re: dsnless

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dsnless
  • Date: 14 Oct 2002 21:37:56 +0200

Il lun, 2002-10-14 alle 01:33, Sven Köhler ha scritto:
> >>Do i need a freetds.conf when using ODBC?
> >
> > Yes. Stay tuned for further developments. :)
>
> i'll surely do :-)
>
> >>Any option which applies to a server should be abled to be within the
> >>ODBC-DSN.
> >
> > I don't understand, sorry.
>
> this thread is about DSNless connecting.
> what i was looking for was also freetds.conf'less connecting.

dsnless is easiest to implement than freetds.conf'less...

> Example 3-1. A freetds.conf file example
>
> [global]
> tds version = 4.2
>
> [myserver]
> host = ntbox.mydomain.com
> port = 1433
>
> [myserver2]
> host = unixbox.mydomain.com
> port = 4000
> tds version = 5.0
>
> this is from you online-manual.
> what about an odbc-dsn looking like this:
>
> [myserver]
> Description=A DSN working without the freetds.conf
> Host=ntbox.foo.com
> Port=1433
> TDS_Version=7.0
> Database=testdb
> UID=test
> PWD=test

Will be

[myserver]
Description=...
Server=ntbox.foo.com:port
TDS_Version=7.0
Database=testdb
Trusted_Connection=yes/no

UID and PWD should not go on odbc.ini file... Current version (CVS) of
FreeTDS correctly do not read these values from odbc.ini...

Domain will be specified with code similar to

SQLConnect("myserver","domain\\user","password);

Timeout will be specified using ODBC options. Other options... work in
progress...

> when i understood everything right, the Servername-parameter in an
> ODBC-DSN only points at the entry within the freetds.conf - why???
> why aren't you using the above to make the odbc-interface independent
> from freetds.conf (because ODBC already partly does what the
> freetds.conf does: offer a central point for databse-config)

I don't know why current code use freetds.conf (perhaps because code to
read all option was just there) but this is a todo..