freetds - Re: dsnless

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dsnless
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:38:11 -0400

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 23:02:33 +0200, "Sven Köhler" <skoehler AT upb.de> wrote:
> Do i need a freetds.conf when using ODBC?

Yes. Stay tuned for further developments. :)

> Any option which applies to a server should be abled to be within the
> ODBC-DSN.

I don't understand, sorry.

> I would also recomm, to extend the ODBC-chapter of the manual, because i
>
> could not find any good/complete list of paramters that i can specifiy
> in my odbc.ini or DSN-file
> (or am i just to dump to find it?)

Valuable criticism, thank you. Certainly, you're not expected to "dump to
find it"! <shudder>

For the time being, you might want to refer to the sample files recently
added to cvs:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/freetds/freetds/samples/odbc.ini?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Your friendly UG editor (me) is ODBC-impaired, which matters only because
I can't update the manual from first-hand experience. So, the content has
to come from someone else.

Based on questions we see here, I think you're right, we should reorganize
and expand the ODBC section:

Chapter 5
SQSH
ODBC
Status summary, link to api_status.txt
Role of Driver Manager
Overview of installation (generic)
The odbc.ini file
What it does
Where it goes
What it looks like (supported options)
iODBC
unixODBC

I hereby solicit ODBC documentation. Patches to the sgml would be
wonderful, of course, but plaintext samples sent to the list would be
helpful, too.

Regards,