freetds - RE: Sybase server crash

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Sybase server crash
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:22:47 -0400

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:15:20 -0500, JKosta AT morrisbart.com wrote:

> You are right James, I have at least version .60 of Freetds (I
> mistakenly got that version number 1.5 from the freetds.conf file).

Ah, I see what you mean:

# $Id: freetds.conf,v 1.6 2002/10/09 [...]

Anyone could make that mistake. You realize now of course that's the
revision number of the file in our souce control system, not the release
version.

> My only concern with trying the 5.0 protocol is that this chart
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x545.htm#AEN551
> says to use the 5.0 protocol for Sybase System 10 or above and we have
> Sybase Server Anywhere version 7.0.1.918, though maybe those versions
> are not apples to apples comparisons.

Thank you for pointing that out, John. From where I sit, it's sometimes
hard to remember (or imagine) how it is "on the outside", for someone
starting to use FreeTDS for the first time. IIRC, Sybase SQL Anywhere
used to be known as Watcom SQL <something>. Then around 1994 Sybase
bought it and renamed it. It's not a System 10 derivative; AFAIK it's a
completely different codebase. Hence the different numbering scheme.

(That's also why I'm suprised about Brian's 4.2 warning. I assumed the
4.2 crash problem was rooted in the System 10 code.)

I'm going to update the UG to mention Sybase SQL Anywhere. Brian, if
you're listening, do I have my facts straight? I should update not only
the page John refers to, but also the History section.

It so happens I have a copy of Sybase SQL Anywhere here at home. The
copyright in the manual is 1995. It says the default port is 1498
(Columbus's second voyage or something, I guess). Is that still true?

Personal note. My connection to Waterloo stuff goes back to the
Flintstone era, think punchcard and greenbar. In college, the intro comp
sci course used Fortran. They had just upgraded from WATFOR (WATerloo
FORtran) to a new version. What to call the new version? Why, WATFIVE,
of course. My sense of humor never recovered.

> Thank you both for your help.

My pleasure. Good luck with it.