freetds - RE: WARNING: update your autoconf

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Varley, David(CBorn at Alcoa)" <David.Varley AT alcoa.com.au>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: WARNING: update your autoconf
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:03:33 +0800

Thanks guys, I think I've got it now :)

"configure" is normally regarded as "source" and not changed
when building, so its in the right place and running it or
"make" should not change anything in the source tree.

However the problem I encountered was due to an incorrect
"configure" script, and so I needed to regenerate it using
autogen.sh

The rebuilt "configure" script should be the same on all
platforms, however it may vary depending on the tools used
to build it. In my case the autoconf was the same, but some
other tools had slightly different versions.

Another interesting thing I noted was that even when these
tools were built from the same source, they themselves could
have different versions depending on the tools they were
built with (gcc 2.7/2.96/3.1/3.2 etc). And those tools
themselves required the autoconf tools to build, so achieving
consistency may require several build cycles. Much fun :)

Cheers,

David