freetds - RE: coding advice, please...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: coding advice, please...
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:31:18 -0400

James,

> Bill,
>
> Since you asked , I'll agree with Steve, since he's so agreeable.
>
> The simple fact is, as I see it, that tds_process_row_tokens() has more to
> say than yea/nae, so it should say it. Making libtds better is good.
> Omelettes and eggs and all that.

I think this may be turning into the mother of all omelettes!
My travails with tds_process_row_tokens() are a vicar's tea party compared
with the prospect of rewriting the "row buffering" functionality in
dblibrary to handle compute rows that are liberally and randomly
interspersed with data rows!

> While I don't advocate gratuitous changes to libtds, neither should we let
> the tail wag the dog. It's there for us, to help us create the client APIs,
> and anything we do to it toward that end will benefit many people, 1000
> times more (I mean that literally) people than those inconvenienced. We can
> make it work now and make excuses later. :)

I agree. Thanks!

> BTW, I think your compute-row handling may overlap with Frediano's output
> parameter handling. Cf. dbretdata(). I don't know what you'll find on the
> wire; I'm speculating.

It should be a different token stream. Freddy, I can help with the streams
for this data if you like ( markers 0x79 and 0xac ? )

Bill