freetds - Re: coding advice, please...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: stephen.hsu AT donovandata.com
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: coding advice, please...
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:24:06 -0400

Not pretty but I would put all the tds_process_row_tokens() into dbnextrow
() add
the extra information. Change tds_process_row_tokens() into a wrapper for
dbnextrow() and return the same sucess/fail that people are expecting.
Changing
return codes on people should be a no, no.

later
Stephen

"Bill Thompson"

<thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com> To: "TDS
Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
Sent by: cc:

bounce-freetds-149453 AT franklin.metal Subject:
[freetds] coding advice, please...
ab.unc.edu

09/24/2002 09:51 AM

Please respond to "TDS Development

Group"

All,

Thought I would consult you before doing anything that you may disapprove
of...

basically I need to modify tds_process_row_tokens() such that information
about any "compute" rows is passed back to any calling function.
In my particular case, I am trying to amend dbnextrow() to cater for these
rows. dbnextrow() needs in turn to return either:

REG_ROW (a normal data row has been returned)
NO_MORE_ROWS (there ain't no more data...)
FAIL
BUF_FULL
a "compute id" (to tie back this compute data to its "result" information)

as dbnextrow() is a thinnish wrapper around tds_process_row_tokens(), the
latter needs to pass similar information back to the former.

As I see it I could either:

keep the existing returns from tds_process_row_tokens() (SUCCEED or FAIL
essentially), and add extra output parameters for returning extra
information.

or:

amend the return codes from tds_process_row_tokens() to roughly match the
dbnextrow() returns.

In either case, I'm going to be amending the behaviour of a function which
may well be used natively elsewhere (tsql for example - also other people
are probably accessing the tds layer directly, albeit against our better
judgement). I'm not happy about doing this.

Any advice ?

Bill

---
You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [stephen.hsu AT donovandata.com]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')