freetds - Re: config->char_set vs. config->client_charset?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • Cc: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: config->char_set vs. config->client_charset?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:22:28 -0500

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:39:32PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:27:23 -0500, "Steve Langasek"
> <vorlon AT netexpress.net> wrote:

> > I think I'll take a
> > few minutes to update ethereal's TDS dissector before crawling back into
> > my hole to ponder UTF8 field length issues... :)

> I would like to suggest that, in between feedings, if you find the time,
> you make that Ethereal code of yours, oh, GPL or something, and commit it
> to the FreeTDS tree as src/ethereal.

> Steve and Frediano both mentioned TDS and Ethereal by name in the last few
> days. Seems to me they might profit from your efforts, or be tempted to
> enhance them. You never know where temptation might lead....

Hmm -- there's more TDS dissector code floating around out there than
what's in ethereal CVS? Gimme gimme :)

I have a patch that labels more of the environment change token subtypes
that SQL7 sends, and also pulls in some code for displaying UCS2 fields
from the SMB dissector... If there are others actively working on the
TDS dissector, it sounds to me like it would be of benefit to have a
"local" CVS repository for it.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer