freetds - Re: config->char_set vs. config->client_charset?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: config->char_set vs. config->client_charset?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:27:23 -0500

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:06:59AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> There's a pretty visible bug on SELECT, though -- for whatever reason,
> all of the multibyte characters are being rendered to the terminal as
> either � (the UTF-8 marker for an invalid multibyte sequence) or as ?
> (an unrepresentable character). The ones represented with a '?' in sqsh
> are also seen that way when viewing the data on the server, so that may
> be a problem with the initial UTF-8 -> UCS-2 conversion; I'll have to
> look into it more to see. Doesn't bother me too terribly much, I'm
> tickled that everything works as well as it does at this point.

<mutter,grumble> Unicode works a lot better when your tables and strings
are explicitly Unicode...

Well, at least the time wasn't a total loss; I have a much better
understanding of the TDS protocol than I did before. I think I'll take a
few minutes to update ethereal's TDS dissector before crawling back into
my hole to ponder UTF8 field length issues... :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer