freetds - RE: DBLIB Unit Tests failing again

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: DBLIB Unit Tests failing again
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:08:31 -0400

Looking at the log, it seems likely that FreeTDS kept retrying the socket
even though it was closed. I think this is related to the cancel processing
fix. As Brian said (paraphrasing), that's a nasty piece of work that needs
a firm hand. But that's not what's crashing your server.

David, is this behvior restricted to TDS 4.2 with t0016? I wonder if it
might not be a matter of us lying to the server about the length of
something, causing it to stupidly not allocate (or over allocate) room for
the incoming row.

I also notice that t0016.c doesn't call bcp_done() between bcp_exec() and
the next bcp_init(), nor between bcp_exec() and dbsqlexec(). That not good.
We shouldn't be able to crash the server, but nonetheless we should call
bcp_done() as appropriate.

from the bcp_done() docs:

Remarks

Call bcp_done after the last call to bcp_sendrow
or bcp_moretext. Failure to call bcp_done after
copying in all your data results in unpredictable errors.

Brian, does any of this coincide with your 12.5 experience?

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.