freetds - Re: rc4 is ready, shall we call it 0.60?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: rc4 is ready, shall we call it 0.60?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:56:34 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:07:19 -0400, "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org> wrote:
> ... it works on AIX and (of course) Linux. However, setting TDSVER to
> 4.2 on Sybase 12.5 stack traced and locked up the server....bad, bad,
> bad!
>
> We need to include a *HUGE* warning about this one. Otherwise, it looks
> good.
> Do you want to do a rc5, or just add the text and promote it?

I say it's a go. I will update the readme and rename the archive. I will
not rebuild or re-tar it. See huge warning attached.

Idea for next time: send mail to root@localhost, attaching any special
announcements. Couldn't hurt.

Regards,

--jkl

<top of README.0.60>
********************************
** Warning regarding Sybase 12.5! **
********************************

Do Not Use FreeTDS 0.60 with TDS version 4.2 to connect to Sybase 12.5.
Please!

While we don't like to put the bad news first, neither do we want you to
hurt your server. Late in the release cycle, we found that our
implementation of TDS 4.2 gives Sybase 12.5 a bad case of heartburn. In
short: it crashed the server.

We don't know what it is about our version of TDS 4.2 that Sybase 12.5
doesn't like, and we'll be looking closely at that question. But in the
meanwhile, until we can find the problem and fix it, please don't use that
combination. Unless you want to help us test it, that is.

FreeTDS 0.60 works fine with Sybase 12.5 if you use TDS version 5.0.

If you are using Sybase 12.5 and anything above is not clear to you,
please see the User Guide. If it is still not clear after that, please
write to the FreeTDS mailing list. We'd rather answer your questions
while your server is still running.

Thank you. We return now to your regularly scheduled README, already in
progress.

New location of installed files!
[etc.]
<end readme>