freetds - RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 05:59:13 -0400

At 5:11 AM -0400 8/30/2002, Brian Bruns wrote:
I think UTF-8 is the way forward on this. The basic problem is what do
the unix apps support? It sure isn't UCS-2. If they support unicode
at all it's utf-8 and ucs-2 to utf-8 can be done losslessly. And then
there are crippled clients that need single byte char sets, I can't see
removing this for some years to come.

The Sybase libraries don't seem to worry about clients that need single byte char sets if the encoding is set to be utf8. And I doubt those applications explicitly set the charset to anything, so they would break if I set my default charset to use utf8.

In in the worst case, I'd say add a setting to freetds.conf that specifies if utf8 should be used internally, defaulting to true. Then those crippled clients could set that to false (since they'll have to setup a freetds.conf anyway).

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin