freetds - Re: Link error for C++ with FreeTDS - certain dblib calls missing in FreeTDS lib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Link error for C++ with FreeTDS - certain dblib calls missing in FreeTDS lib
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:46:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:43:42 -0400 (EDT), "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:
> >
> > > (Hey, hey, the gang's all here, a FreeTDS Saturday. :)
> > >

> > Just back from lunch. #167 on sour dough....Mmmmmm
>
> "Unknown marker: 167!!"
>
> Poppy bagel w/ cream cheese, black coffee, $1.85.

Tempeh, onion, lettuce, some other stuff, with melted munster on sour
dough. The students are back! argh! I thought I had another week yet.

> > > Just to remind, dbopen() became the exported name about a month ago;
> > > DBOPEN is in the .h. That's what Sybase does (of late).
> >
> > how are we working around the dbm conflict then?
>
> (mumble...) ISTR something I didn't do but thought I did. Can I be
> guilty of that? Turns out I was thinking of dbdead().

Ok, cool. I have no qualms about exporting dbopen() but want to make sure
we are not going back to square 1. Funny, if we would have left
--enable-dbmfix alone we would have been fine. Hind sight is 20/20 right?

> If you use ./configure --binary_compatible, nothing happens. But in a
> future version, that would export dbopen() and frustrate anyone trying to
> link in dbm.

Coolness. Can't wait to see this...take your sybase app and move it to MS
SQL with ease....urm, not exactly what I had in mind with FreeTDS, but
more power to ya.

> > > dbaltbind binds a compute column to a program variable. I never used
> > > it myself (too much work for too little result; it's easy enough to do
> > > your own summaries) but is it really a duplication of something else?
> > >

> > I mean it will be basically a dup of the regrow column binding.
>
> I see. You mean the logic for dbaltbind() would be very similar to that
> of dbbind(). I'm sure that would lead to interesting refactoring....

Seems to me some of this is existant, I guess we'll see.

> --jkl

Brian