freetds - Re: Link error for C++ with FreeTDS - certain dblib calls missing in FreeTDS lib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Link error for C++ with FreeTDS - certain dblib calls missing in FreeTDS lib
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:28:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Savitri Sarangi wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2000 from a C++ application on
> Solaris using FreeTDS. I am using Sun Workshop CC v6.2 for compiling and
> linking. FreeTDS is already installed as per specification. My compilation
> command looks like this
>
> /apps/dev/sun5/lang6.2/SUNWspro/bin/CC makeconnect.C -I/libraries/dbint
> -I./libraries/distribution -I./libraries/util -I/home
> /qaetr/Satyam_dev/sav/ft/include -DCLASSIC_IOSTREAMS
> -library=rwtools7,iostream -staticlib=rwtools7,iostream
> ./libraries/libDBINT.a ./libraries/lib DISTRIBUTION.a
> ./libraries/libUTIL.a ./libraries/libUtil.a -library=rwtools7,iostream
> -staticlib=rwtools7,iostream
> -R/home/qaetr/Satyam_dev/sav/ft/lib
> -Bdynamic /home/qaetr/Satyam_dev/sav/ft/lib/libsybdb.a
> /home/qaetr/Satyam_dev/sav/ft/lib/libtds.a -ldl -Bstatic -lsocket -lnsl
> -DTDS42
>
> In short, I have included necessary libraries. But I am getting Undefined
> symbol error for about 18 of SQL Server dblibrary functions. (these
> functions are dbopen,

dbopen is a #define in the header file. Are you trying to link freetds to
an existing application compiled against openclient?

> dbaltbind, dbcolbrowse, dbsetlname etc, etc) I then
> checked FreeTDS libraries libsybdb.a, libtds.a, libct.a for presence of
> these functions. No, they are not found.

These function are not yet implemented. To be honest they are not used
that often, and I believe you are the first person to ask for them!

dbsetlname() is not in the dblib manual, I thought is was purely an
internal function actually (all the DBSETL* routines call this,
inefficient).

dbaltbind will be mostly a duplication of the existing bind routines, but
may need some underpinnings.

dbcolbrowse()...well we have no support for browse mode, so substantial
work would be needed for this to be implemented.