freetds - FreeTDS 0.53 + PHP 4.0.6 + MSSQL 7.0 Cannot select database

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Teju" <tejasvic AT yahoo.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: FreeTDS 0.53 + PHP 4.0.6 + MSSQL 7.0 Cannot select database
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:14:31 -0400

HI I'm new to the freeTDS and php arena. I'm trying to connect to an SQL
server on a windows 2000 machine from a linux machine. I have created a
web based interface to the database using PHP4.0.6. This is the script I
am using:

$db = mssql_connect("server","username","passwd") or die ("cannot
connect");
mssql_select_db("database_name", $db) or die("cannot select");

The first statement works. I can connect to the database but the script
hangs at the mssql_select_db() statement it doesn't die even....it just
runs till the max_execution_time specified and then timeouts. I have
increased this max_execution_time to a large value also but no use.
Can any of you help me on thi please. Also please let me know if using PHP
is a good idea or not. If not which would be the best way of connecting
linux to windows using freetds?
Please reply to this asap...please my project is not moving ahead because
of this.

thanks,
teju