freetds - RE: Help required

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: John Seers <John.Seers AT uk.lionbioscience.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Help required
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:10:23 +0100

Hello James and anyone else

I have now installed tcsh from source. This looks very useful for later
when I get going as there is lots of code to guide how to do things.
Brilliant. So If I can get past this problem I should be up and
developing.

I can use tcsh connect to the MS SQL Server database and issue SQL
commands quite happily. I am using the supplied Northwind database.
An SQL command such as "select FirstName from Employees" returns data.

As James suggested I have tried this command (only in tcsh) and it
returns the hello message.

raiserror( 'hello', 16,1 )

So at the moment it looks like I need to put in a callback routine to
try and catch what error/message is not being handled by the default
freetds routines in the C++ program. But if anybody has any other
suggestions meanwhile I would be grateful as I expect it is a basic
problem. While delving with gdb I could see that the message being
handled is (I think) something like "Database context changed to
Northwind".

So to summarise. I can connect using a C program or tcsh but when I put
the almost identical code into my C++ program it fails in ct_connect
somewhere in the default message handler.

A couple of questions:

1. While trying to troubleshoot I have tried setting, for example,
TDSDUMPCONFIG=/tmp/freetds.config. But when I run no file is created. Do
I need to set anything else?

2. When compiling using g++ the compiler flags as warnings the various
freetds routines as "implicitly defined". Do the freetds .h files not
define the routines? Or am I missing something here?

Regards.

John Seers
begin:vcard
n:Seers;John
tel;cell:07900 498885
tel;fax:01223 224701
tel;home:01603 660746
tel;work:01223 224729
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:John.Seers AT uk.lionbioscience.com
fn:John Seers
end:vcard