freetds - RE: Help required

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Help required
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:53:12 -0400

Welcome.

> I have been working with 0.53, and connecting using ctlib. I
> can connect
> with a little C program but repeating the code in a rather
> more complex
> environment I get a segfault calling ct_connect. Tracing
> through using gdb
> (see a few line below) I get aStruct change to NULL which I think is
> something to do with the ctx.
>
> The instructions below talk about adding the config.h line to
> tsql.c but I
> cannot find that in my set up. I notice a fix has been booked in.

A lot of useful work has gone into the codebase since 0.53; tsql is part of
it.

Tell us a little more about your setup. Client OS and hardware
architecture, and server vendor & version. I suspect you're bumping into a
runtime configuration issue. FreeTDS isn't flawless, but lots of code that
relies on ct-lib gets further than just connecting.

The standard advice is to install sqsh (which uses ct-lib). If sqsh works,
you have to reexamine your code; if not, it's almost always a runtime
environment problem.

> Should I
> download the "Snapshot" to pick this up? I would prefer to work with a
> release rather than being too leading edge at the moment and
> I assume the Snapshot is right at the edge.

I would normally recommend using the snapshot, but several basic conversion
errors have been reported with it that haven't been fixed yet, so I can't
recommend the latest snapshot to you unless you're prepared to update it
every few days.

> Very grateful for help and advice to get me going again in the right
> direction.

HTH.

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.