freetds - network unreachable with freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Casey Letzia" <casey AT creditguard.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: network unreachable with freetds
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:28:49 -0400

Greetings,

We are having difficulty connecting from our a box in our dmz to our
database server on the lan. We can telnet from said dmz box to the
database server on port 1433, but when we try to connect from php using
freetds, we recieve the dreaded "src/tds/login.c: tds_connect:
228.128.0.168:1433: Network is unreachable." Viewing our trusty tcpdump
logs indicates that freetds is looking at our name servers (hosted by
sprint external to our network) and seemingly ignoring our /etc/hosts
file. We are confident that our freetds.conf is okay because when we
remark out the nameservers in /etc/hosts it connects no problem.

We are somewhat confused as to why we can telnet to the socket pair, but
are unable to 'freetds' to it. We are assuming that we've done something
wrong, and would greatly appreciate your assistance.