freetds - RE: convert progress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: convert progress
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:53:49 -0400

On Long Island, they have an expression for things like that. It goes
something like:

Oh, my, gawd.

I guess you know tdsdump has been ported to Win32, too.

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Lowden, James K wrote:
> >
> > > I think the autoconf macro is not hard to add later.
> Basically, we can wrap
> > your "long long" uses inside a HAVE_LONG_LONG test in the
> header file, and
> > in convert.c (or whatever) we can say, approximately:
> >
> > #if ! HAVE_LONG_LONG
> > [call error message handler]
> > return FALSE;
> > #endif
>
> I don't mind using native types, but we do really need to do
> something for the platforms without a 64bit type.

Question to you, Mr. Portability: Do you know of a compiler out there
without 64-bit integer support? Even VC++ has it (but it's not "long long",
it's __int64, don't get me started). Anything without it would be
constrained to a 4 GB file length, which seems pretty unlikely these days,
for anything we care about.

There are four things we can do when we run out of integer bits:

1. Punt. My favored option for now.
2. Use long, punt if the incoming value is too big.
3. Use float & sprintf, taking care w/rounding. One day.
4. Write "atoll" (cf. atoi) w/gcc, offer it in binary/assembler form to
broken systems.
5. Use a 64-bit library.
6. Write a 64-bit library.

See, the last two don't come under "we can do". There ain't no free one
(since gcc doesn't need it) and I don't see writing one as a happening
thing. Maybe Bill does.

Options 1 and 2 also mean, "Tell 'em to get gcc".

> In what ways in using the current
> numeric code insufficant for the 8 byte money type?

I'm just believing Bill on that one.

Regards,