freetds - JDBC strange error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Antonio Terceiro <terceiro AT ufba.br>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: JDBC strange error
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:21:31 +0000

Hi all,

I've some questions about freetds JDBC driver, but I see that 99,99% of the
messages do this list is about the C version of freetds. Then, maybe you could
indicate me a better place to post this message, if there is some. But i'll
post it here anyway ... ;-)

I've been testing freetds_jdbc driver to access some machines running
Micro$oft SQL Server(they are Window$ NT, of course), and it works very well,
until ... for some queries, it raises a SQLException, that is, in fact,
"forwarding" an SocketException(I changed the sources to show the actual
Exception type inside square braces, as you can see in the following lines).

Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: Network error- Connection
reset by peer: Connection reset by peer[java.net.SocketException]
at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Statement.execute(Statement.java:483)
at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Statement.executeQuery(Statement.java:122)
at Jisql.main(Jisql.java:112)

The strange is that I've tested runnning the same queries several times, and
it
raises that Exception sometimes, and the other times, it works fine. For
example, I run if 10,000 times (running 100 times a class that runs the query
100 times on each execution), and some class executions run the 100 times
without error, and other executions stop after some random nunber of times.

The first queries that I tested where greater than 512 bytes, and I thought
that the problem could be in the protocol conversation(that specifies that
queries greater than 512 bytes must be sent in different packets). But further
I've tested queries lesser that 512 bytes and happened the same.

So, can anybody help with it? Maybe guiding me to probable reasons, or
whatever. I'm up to help with the driver programming ...

Regards,

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro AT im.ufba.br>
Bolsista - Divisão de Projetos