freetds - Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 15:37:26 -0400

Hey Brian,

The glib2 version of libgda, current version 0.8.190, does not have a
FreeTDS provider. The FreeTDS was never ported to the new version of
libgda due to lack of time and resources.

I plan on creating a FreeTDS provider in the glib2 version of libgda.
The MySQL, PostgreSQL, and XML providers were built from scratch. I
will need to create the FreeTDS provider from scratch too. How should
this be started?

The glib2 version of libgda was redesigned to use "data models" which
are used for all kinds of data -- database and non-database related.
The glib1 version used connection-oriented recordsets. Some examples of
non-database data models: passing data between GNOME Office
applications, XML, and doing SQL like queries on non-database "data
models".

Glib2 will become common place due to GTK2 having become a Stable
release. The GNOME 2 Desktop uses glib2 too, but GNOME 2 is still in
Beta. The Mono:: C#/CLR Project uses glib2, but it is not near Beta
quality yet.