freetds - MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:22:08 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to learn about FreeTDS so I can develop Linux stuff. I do
it under Cygwin because I only have one machine and MS SQL Server 2000
only runs on Windows. Are there any tools or examples I can use to test
that I can connect, run SQL commands, run SQL queries and get sample
data back?
I have set up MS SQL Server in mixed mode as suggested by the docs.

I looked at some tool SQSH, but it seems to be for Sybase. Will it work
for MS SQL Server too? Are there any others?

I even built unixODBC under Cygwin (it built - but took a long time) to
use FreeTDS. I then discovered to get FreeTDS support in unixODBC, I
need to build FreeTDS with --with-unixodbc=/usr/local and this is when I
had a problem with finding glib-config. Isn't this glib1? I have glib2
and
pkg-config on my machine. Will the ODBC support in FreeTDS be modified
to support glib2?

Thanks,
Daniel