freetds - Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:24:33 -0400

On Fri, 17 May 2002 07:10:16 -0400 "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
wrote:

> As for glib, yes, it is a library required by gtk; however, gtk is not
> required to use glib. I do know glib is a great way to make portable
> programs.

I see. Thanks for correcting me.

Do you (or someone else reading) know what's what with glib 1.2/2.0? I
would tend to think that FreeTDS wouldn't care very much about glib's
version, except regarding Makefile issues and such. But I really don't
know.

> Since you are intrigued, I will tell you what I am trying to do. I
> would like to get FreeTDS to work in libgda (GNU Data Access at
> http://www.gnome-db.org/ ) and
> Mono C#/CLR ( http://www.go-mono.com/ ).

I think that would be very cool. I hope we can get you over the glib hump
so you can get started.

> You mentioned something about ct-lib. What is the difference between
> all those libraries? Which library should I be trying to use in
> libgda or Mono?

db-lib is the oldest and simplest. It's the only API supported by both
vendors, which is important to people porting applications that used the
vendors' libraries. Among other places, db-lib is used by PHP.

ct-lib is Sybase's second-generation API. People who really know Sybase
stuff rely on ct-lib because it fixes a bunch of implementation and
conceptual gaps in db-lib. That's why sqsh and Perl's DBD::Sybase use
ct-lib.

ODBC is our most recent addition. Its chief advantage is that it makes
FreeTDS servers look like other ODBC servers, a big help to people who
know ODBC and/or write applications for several kinds of servers.

<bias> I like db-lib and have never felt the need to learn ct-lib. Maybe
it's like great sex and I don't know what I'm missing 'til I've tried it,
but db-lib has always done what I need. In fact, I've often thought about
porting db-lib to MySQL or somesuch. </bias>

There's not much point in using ODBC IMHO, because (1) it involves
interaction with driver managers and things you don't need, and (2) libgda
is aimed at the same problem ODBC is, approximately (and you don't need
two layers doing the same thing).
You probably should use ct-lib if you don't already know db-lib. That's
what experienced Sybase folks would tell you. If I were doing what you
are, I'd use db-lib, because that's what I know, and I haven't been burned
yet.

Links to the vendors' library docs are in the FreeTDS User Guide.

One more thought. I noticed that MDB Tools is a libgda client. That's
very interesting, because MDB Tools is written by our very own Brian
Bruns. I'd imagine he'll be rooting for you, too.

Hope that's of some help.

Regards,