freetds - Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: MS SQL Server 2000, FreeTDS, and Cygwin
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 15:09:11 -0400

On Sat, 18 May 2002 21:46:49 -0400 "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg AT sc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I don't know anything about Linux building using auto* stuff
> (autogen,autoconf,automake). I sure wish I did. I want to get libgda
> building under cygwin.

Me neither. But based on Brian's comments, it sounds like with just a
little work you could chop out the ODBC stuff to build FreeTDS on your
system. Or, as you say, install glib-1.2. As there's no pressing need
and glib-2.0 is quite new, I wouldn't expect FreeTDS to be converted any
time soon.

> You recommend me to use db-lib in the Microsoft SQL Server
> implementation in System.Data.SqlClient? I wonder if there is a Sybase
> .NET Data Provider that is open source? If not, we may need to create
> one then. Should db-lib be used for libgda as well?

As I said, I like db-lib and think it's easy to get to know, but the real
experts out there believe in ct-lib, so it's probably the right answer for
you, especially because the Sybase libgda provider uses ct-lib. FreeTDS
swings both ways: you can use any client library API to connect to either
vendor's server.

There is one other thing to consider OTOH, and that's what you have for a
reference platform. You're running in a cygwin system, so you may have MS
libraries around. You may find it handy to use their documentation and
occasionally write little tests against their libraries to check out
behavior. That would be a db-lib argument.

OK, I promise not to say anything more on *that* subject. :)

> Someone
> has already created a Sybase provider in libgda, but I don't think it
> uses FreeTDS, I think it uses the Sybase libraries.

Wouldn't it be easier to hack on that to make it work with FreeTDS? That
doesn't sound like much work (relatively speaking).

> Isn't MDB Tools currently read-only? Are there plans for it to be
> modifiable, or able to create new MDB files?

Sorry, no information on that.

Sounds like an interesting project. Please remember to have fun!

Regards,