freetds - Re: datetime format

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: datetime format
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:52:20 -0600

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 07:55:45PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:

> I guess I'll weigh in here. I believe we chose the current date format to
> avoid problems with internationalization. We probably should support some
> other formats as well in some form. I have no real desire to introduce
> another file ala locales.dat. The freetds.conf section should be flexible
> enough to handle this. Perhaps a [locales] section? Or should time be
> stipulated per server?

My only objection to using a [locales] section in freetds.conf is that
this means one more name that's unavailable for use as a server name.
But I definitely believe this belongs as a per-locale setting rather
than as a per-server setting, with provisions for an application
override; character set, date format, language, etc. are all
traditionally seen as functions of the locale configuration in Unixland,
and I think it's useful to extend this structure to FreeTDS's handling
of those variables.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer