freetds - Re: FW: RE: DBD::Sybase, FreeTDS, Solaris 2.7, Perl 5.6.1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: RE: DBD::Sybase, FreeTDS, Solaris 2.7, Perl 5.6.1
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:45:15 -0400

Not so long ago, Eric Deutsch wrote:

> Hi, since things are heating up on the list again, I thought I'd repost an
> old message with the hope that someone can look at it. I have not been able
> to resolve this, and it sounds like several other people are having similar
> problems. I'd be happy to send more TDSDUMP files if that is helpful. My
> problem occurs on with DBD::Sybase, FreeTDS 0.52 and greater, Red Hat 7.0,
> Perl 5.6.0 in contrast to the original poster's platform.

Eric,

I said I'd at least *read* your message, and I did that much. I'm going
to offer a guess and a hope, since 1) I can't test against an MS server
and 2) I'm not perfectly sure what's in what release of FreeTDS.

AIUI, you bumped into 2 problems:

1. config->hostname not getting set, leading to a segmentation fault.
2. Unknown marker error, having hacked around #1.

My guess is that there's some problem in FreeTDS's reading of your
freetds.conf file, leading to the host name not getting set and to the
TDS protocol defaulting to 5.0. IIRC, freetds.conf was introduced with
0.52, meaning at the very least the file parsing is new code.

My hope is that you can confirm/disprove my guess by looking at your
dump file with a little guidance from someone, possibly Brian. I have
to believe it's pretty easy to determine what protocol version is being
used to communicate to the server. If it's not 7 and freetds.conf (or
interfaces) indicates 7, there's a mismatch to track down.

Anyway, that might be one way to narrow down the problem.

Regards,