freetds - RE: FreeTDS Make Problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: FreeTDS Make Problem
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:42:12 -0400

> >Right. If you can get a clean installation of FreeTDS within the
> >package/ports system, FreeTDS is ready. But you have might to diddle
with
> >PHP, because it's expecting the Sybase header files in the sybase
> directory,
> >and you're using (or will be using) FreeTDS.

> James,
>
> All I can say is that I did warn you I was new to this.

Yeah, well, maybe that's why I volunteered. ;)

> I tried the port but had problems with the same files when trying to make
> PHP. After this I went back to compiling the latest version. After
following
> the instructions in the documentation and other postings I'd seen and not
> having any success I decided to read the INSTALL file again ( I had
glanced
> at it briefly before ). This time I took note of the fact that it says to
> use gmake to make FreeTDS.

The whole make/gmake thing trips lots of new-to-non-linux people. (What
saves the linux folks is that there's no pre-existing native make.) The
docs are very clear, I'd say (http://www.freetds.org/userguide/config.html),
but when one first begins it's hard to absorb all the new terminology and to
sort out the important from the stale/incidental/nonapplicable.

> After install and making using gmake everything went fine.

I'm not sure I understand. I'm pretty sure you built FreeTDS, first with
the port and then the latest sources with gmake. Does "everything went
fine" mean you have PHP now?

> In my defence I did follow the instructions on the website which just said
> make. I guess they're not very helpful to a newbie like me.

I note the PHP build instructions say "make install". Should that be "gmake
install"?

No defence necessary, Martin. Actually, it sounds to me like they *were*
helpful, and your bafflement will help us improve them. I'd like it to be
the case that someone with no more Unix knowledge than a hamster can get
FreeTDS working just by following directions. So far, I'm afraid, we'd need
pretty geeky hamsters.

Regards,