freetds - Re: Differences in FreeTDS and Sybase ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <palardyn AT mac.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Differences in FreeTDS and Sybase ?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:41:50 -0600

Ouch ...
what I'm building is a simple tool that can attempt to log in to any server.
It will probably fail on the vast majority and I expect that

But, since the Sybase DBLib would call the message or error handler I could check the codes there and see if a failed login was the reason these were being called. If that's the case then the server is up and refusing this login which is OK

However, if the FreeTDS DBLib doesn't work that way how would you suggest I try the server to "ping" it

Essentially that's all I need.

I suppose I could parse the interfaces file myself and try and simply open a socket to that server and port and see if that gets refused