freetds - Re: PHP, FreeTDS and SQL Server 7

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PHP, FreeTDS and SQL Server 7
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 16:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, something we did (I'm guessing the updated config.c file, as there
were some post-0.52 changes there) fixed things.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, David Derr wrote:

> Ok, now I am starting to wonder if the problem is with my SQL 7
> installation. Here is the information from my shell:

It looks like it. Although the core dumps were definately a FreeTDS
problem.

> [root php_cgi]# more /tmp/freetds.log
> 2001-10-20 16:08:33 Connecting addr xxx.xx.xx.xxx port 1433
>
> <I deleted some hex information here, I can email it you separatly
> offline if required>
>
> 2001-10-20 16:08:34 inside tds_process_default_tokens() marker is aa
> 2001-10-20 16:08:34 Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 0
> Login failed for user 'xxxxxxxxxx'.

This message comes from the SQL Server, which means we are now connecting
and talking. It just doesn't like your user/password pair.

> 2001-10-20 16:08:34 inside tds_process_default_tokens() marker is fd
> 2001-10-20 16:08:34 leaving tds_process_login_tokens() returning 0
> [root php_cgi]#
>
> It looks like the login is being rejected by my SQL server. I verified
> again that tcp/ip connectivity is enabled on the server and the username
> and password. I am reasonably sure that everything is set to allow
> outside connections, because we already connect to the server via ODBC
> with that information from a different machine.
>
> Does this trigger any ideas? Have anything I should check on the server
> end?

There is a possibility that your SQL Server is using 'domain logins' aka
'integrated security'. If so, a standard SQL login would not work. Verify
that the server is set up for accepting 'server logins' or 'mixed mode' or
'both' (I can never remember the exact verbage in the gui).

We have done some work with getting domain logins working (all the
encryption/protocol stuff is done) but unfortunately the server doesn't
seem to be able to verify the trusted connection.

> Thanks so much for your help up to now - this is so great!

My pleasure.

> David Derr
> Developer - Miles Media Group
> david.derr AT milesmedia.com