freetds - Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ed Edgar" <eedgar AT review.co.jp>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:43:28 -0400

I'm using FreeTDS 4.2 to connect to MSSQL server 2000, and for the time
being appear to be importing and exporting Japanese text successfully, but
not really in the way you're supposed to.

We have an English version of MSSQL server, which as far as I know doesn't
know anything about the fact that we're using Japanese text. We also store
text in all the other CJK languages in the same database in the same way.
So all MSSQL server sees is a bunch of 7 or 8 bit characters, which it
leaves alone.

Initially I tried using FreeTDS 7, but that often broke Japanese text,
presumably by assuming it was ascii and then converting it to unicode,
which didn't work because it wasn't ascii.

Is this just an accident waiting to happen, though? Has anyone else tried
this kind of thing and run into problems, and if so, what kind of
problems?