freetds - Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:31:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> UCS2 is broken, because it truncates Unicode at the 16-bit mark, and
> nobody but Microsoft uses it.

It's difficult for me to come to any other conclusion, based on my
reading of Sun's specification[1] of the language, than that Java also
truncates Unicode characters at the 16-bit mark. I'd be delighted to be
shown that my reading of the spec is wrong, though.

I'm also having a hard time picturing Microsoft as the only user of
Java. :->}

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html

--
Bob Kline