freetds - Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Curt Hagenlocher" <curt AT hagenlocher.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:43:56 -0700

I want to apologize for my last email; it was pissy and off-topic.
I haven't really been following this thread that closely, and am
not a user of the FreeTDS C library in any event.

Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net> writes:

> FreeTDS is being written today, not
> five years ago when UCS-2 was being put into NT4. A Unix widechar
> implementation done today should be using UCS-4. Much better still is
> the multibyte standard, UTF-8, which almost everyone in the Unix world
> uses as the Unicode encoding of choice.

As someone else pointed out, you'd still be limited by the server
implementation even if the client implements the newer, wider spec.
UTF-8 can, of course, be stored in regular char/varchar fields as
long as all the clients of the database app agree to use that
representation.

Would you return an error if someone passed a valid UCS-4 or UTF-8
string that was not also a valid UCS-2 string?

What does Sybase support for Unicode?

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt AT hagenlocher.org