freetds - Re: Why can't this stored procedure be called? (FreeTDS_JDBC and jtds)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Anton van Straaten" <anton AT appsolutions.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Why can't this stored procedure be called? (FreeTDS_JDBC and jtds)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:41:36 -0400

Andreas wrote:
> Just in Case: [...] the ' should be duplicated

Thanks, good catch, but that's not the problem either. I made the dumb
mistake of changing the text when I wrote the email - it used to say 'Did it
work?'.

To summarize for anyone else reading this, here's a stored procedure for MS
SQL 6.5 which works fine in all environments, but I can't successfully call
with any version of the FreeTDS JDBC drivers, including the SourceForge
version or Curt Hagenlocher's version:

create procedure spTestExec as
create table #tmp ( Result varchar(50) )
insert #tmp execute spTestExec2
select * from #tmp

The above depends on the following procedure:

create procedure spTestExec2 as
select 'Did it work?' as Result -- substitute text depending
on degree of
optimism

If anyone is kind enough to take the time to try this and can actually get
it working with SQL 6.5 and FreeTDS JDBC, please let me know, because then
at least I'll know that there's something wrong with my setup or something
I'm doing, rather than with the FreeTDS JDBC driver. At the moment, I must
admit I suspect a FreeTDS JDBC limitation, although it's not clear to me why
the innards of a stored procedure should affect FreeTDS, other than the
speculation about multiple result sets in my first message.

Anton