freetds - Re: JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ruffin Bailey" <Ruffin.Bailey AT noaa.gov>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:38:55 -0400

> There's also a moral argument to consider. The JDBC library is largely the
> work of
> one man, who made the source code available. In so doing, he made the
> world a better
> place, as I'm sure you'd agree. Why would you be inclined repay that favor
> by
> "hosting your own version"?

In brief, it would seem, by looking at past posts to this list as well
as the activity on the FreeTDS JDBC driver ftp site, that the JDBC
driver isn't being updated as quickly as one might hope. Neither are
people's emails regarding check-in privs or potential patches being
returned very quickly, from what I can tell. These two seem to suggest
that the codebase might be better off at another home, at least for the
time being. If Craig (iirc) wants to integrate some of those working
changes into the TDS codebase at a later time, that sounds great to me!

This is the "beauty" of open source. Not everyone wants to use Red Hat,
so to speak. :^) I can't thing of a more flattering way to repay the
favor we've been given than to host a well-maintained, fairly
well-updated fork of the code. Not to mention that putting the driver
on SF gives the whole project more exposure.

Thanks for the input. Don't worry; it's not like I'm opening a site on
SF tomorrow. Contrary to popular belief, I don't quite yet have the
time to put this stuff together -- I just wanted to see how many
homebrew versions of the driver were out there (there are a few) and
then maybe coordinate something on SF if no-one had had any success
updating the driver in the meanwhile. I'd hate to lose the homebrew
hacks people have already added that we don't know about as things stand
-- which will hopefully soon include my own.

Ah, and what I wanted to add -- basically just enough of the JDBC 2.0
spec so that I can keep a cursor on the server-side and get tsa's JTable
reports to work without running out of RAM when I'm running against MS
SQL 7.0.

Thanks again,

Ruffin Bailey