freetds - Re: JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:50:53 +0000

Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> I'd bet we all prefer to be lumpers rather than splitters, but perhaps
> there should be a "working version" of the JDBC driver that we start up
> over at Sourceforge? The JDBC driver is not exactly GPL, but the
> license does seem to allow you do to host your own version.

Hang on a second, Ruffin! What's your beef?

What I mean is, what have you tried to do with the JDBC code that hijacking
the
codebase to Source Forge or whatever would fix? Have you submitted patches
and had
them rejected? Have you requested cvs commit privileges and been rebuffed?

I mean those questions sincerely and calmly; I'm not alarmed so much as
bewildered.

In case it makes any difference, I'd like to encourage you, and encourage you
"play nice", too. It sounds like you have energy, willingness, and time.
Those
matter. I can't imagine those qualities would be anything other than welcome
right
here. There are advantages to "lumping rather than splitting" as you put it,
you
know, like having the original authors around, and that web-footed guy with an
inexplicable desire to write documentation. You could do worse than count
them among
your supporters, especially because the underlying TDS library changes from
time to
time.

There's also a moral argument to consider. The JDBC library is largely the
work of
one man, who made the source code available. In so doing, he made the world
a better
place, as I'm sure you'd agree. Why would you be inclined repay that favor by
"hosting your own version"?

In short, I think you'll feel better and get more done by hanging here.

Please start with the assumption that your contributions are welcome. State
your
case for what changes you think are needed, and let's see what we can do, OK?